Hands up, who hits the 3 o’clock slump and feels overcome by the urge to reach for a sugary treat? If you’re anything like us then it can feel impossible to resist – but there’s a healthy, delicious alternative that may also help to keep your PsA symptoms at bay.
Research has shown that there are certain foods that can help fight inflammation which, as we know, is the root of PsA (you can read more about the science here. That’s why we’ve partnered with Dietitian Gemma Sampson to create a super simple, super tasty energy bar recipe packed full of good nutrients.
With just 5 ingredients and 5 steps in the recipe they couldn’t be easier, so get baking and enjoy!
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ½ cup honey – large quantities of sugar can trigger a skin flare,i so it’s important to use small amounts of natural sugars like honey wherever possible.
- 3 cups oatmeal / rolled oats – oats are a great source of fibre can lower C-reactive protein in the bloodstream, which has been noted as a marker of inflammationii
- Large handful of mixed blueberries and cranberries - Berries top the charts in antioxidant power, protecting your body against inflammation and free radicals, molecules that can damage cells and organsiii
- Handful of roughly chopped walnuts – walnuts contain omega-3, which help to reduce inflammation in PsAiv
- Combine the peanut butter and honey in a large pan and warm over low heat until runny
- Take off the heat and mix in the oatmeal
- Mix in the remaining dry ingredients
- Press into a 9x9 inch pan and let cool (to make cutting them easier, you could stick the covered pan into the refrigerator for a few hours).
- Slice into approximately 15 bars and enjoy!